Tuesday, August 18, 2009

To My Birth Mother

MOTHER DEAR, PLEASE BE BRAVE
YOUR DAUGHTER'S TEARS YOU COULD SAVE
ALONE IN THE WORLD, & YET NOT
IS THIS TO BE MY LOT?

YOU, TO SEE, I CRAVE
MY ADOPTIVE PARENTS
IN THEIR GRAVE
DO LIE
THE WINGS OF HOPE
ARE THEY NOW A MERE SIGH?

MY OLDER BROTHER, ADOPTED TOO
WHERE IS HE,
LOST IN RED TAPE
DOES HE KNOW OF ME?

YOUR FEARS ARE MY FEARS
I DO UNDERSTAND
YOUR TEARS ARE MY TEARS
ALSO, A CHILD TO ME WAS BORN
BY ADOPTION TOO, FROM ME
HE WAS TORN.

A poem written by Lorraine



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shame this person uses the term birthmother to describe her mother. The term was coined by social workers in the USA to demean mothers to the status of breeders of children for adoption.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anon,

Would be pleased if you would suggest another term. As I am both a "Birth Mother" & an adoptee, your suggestions would be warmly welcomed. As a "Birth Mother", I feel no way demeaned, in any sense.

It is after all only a word, as the old saying goes "sticks & stones will break my bones,but names will never hurt me."

Lorraine Cochrane