Monday, March 31, 2014

Thank you for the support.


I started writing this blog in 2009 to help work towards having the truth told for the Inquiry and both State and Federal apologies for Forced Adoption.

In 2012, the Queensland Parliament gave their apology and stated that practices used for forced adoption was Illegal. This is the only State to have that word illegal included in their apology.

On 21st March 2013, Prime Minister Julia Gillard gave a heartfelt apology for forced adoption. I have been privileged to have been able to attend both of these special days.
Nine months later and even before the 1st anniversary of the Federal apology, Tony Abbott has announced that he will make adoption easier in our country.

My heart goes out to the future mothers who will lose their children, and to the children who will lose their families and heritage to adoption.

In 20 years time, mothers and their lost children will again have to fight for their rights.
Why do adoptive parents never consider that children were born to their own parents and not found under a cabbage, and that their loss is greater than their desire to call someone else’s child theirs?

With over 94,000 people who have read this blog, I would like to say thank you for all your support.
I am a mother who had a son taken by forced adoption and, through this blog, gave me a voice to fight for acknowledgement to have the truth of what happened to mothers and children in this country heard both here and around the world.

It is now time for me to hand this over to concentrate on my family which has been sadly neglected over the years.
My thanks to Claire Hamilton for helping me set up this blog and gave me the skills to maintain it.

This is my last post for the blog.  It is now time for me to say goodbye and again, a big thank you.I am sure I am leaving it in good hands.

 Margaret Oakhill-Hamilton

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Hello Margaret, Sorry to hear that you are handing over the blog. I, for one, know how much work you have put into it over the years, and may I say thank you for all the help and support you have given me the 4 years that I have known you. I wish you luck and best wishes for whatever you do in the future. xx Glenda Noon-Ainsworth.

Anonymous said...


All the best Margaret, you did a great job ... your professionalism, perseverance, patience, determination to get the justice we deserved is evident. One only had to look around the Great Hall on the day of Julia Gillard's apology to see that. The very best for the future Marg... Joy